- The Diet Regime
- “The Innovator”: Woolmark’s Snappy Video Misses the Mark
- Forever Pretty in Pink: A teen classic turns 30. But is it actually a working-class “woman’s film”?
- Erotically materialized Papa Smurf’s costume
- What Fashion Scholars Text About When They Text About Fashion
- A Plus in the Sun: The Spatial Politics of Selling Plus-Size Clothes to Women
- Holiday Shopping Edition: On Christmas Movie Miracles, Makeovers and Shopgirls
- Favorite Fall Fashion Links Friday!
- Hobby Historians and the Clothes They Love
- Labor Day Edition! 10 Narrative Films About Garment Workers (and why there aren’t many more than that)
- Haunted by Prada: Meditation on an Ugly Pink Dress, Beauty, and a Missed Opportunity
- Japanese Fashion Part Two: “Recruit Suits” and Why Boring Fashion Matters
- Full Spandex Suits and Other Fashion Fantasies in “Weird Japan” Media Coverage
- It’s Favorite Fashion Blog Friday!
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- Follow Fashion Research on WordPress.com
Tags90s fashion 1990s fashion Abbi Jacobson Advertising Ambiguity antifastfashion art and craft authority beauty Black Friday boring fashion Broad City Cambodia change zara Collections consumer behavior consumer culture cultural studies Dockers donated clothing dress End of Gender fair labor fair trade Fair Wage Fashion fashion and art fashion and labor fashion blog fashion history Fashion Show fashion theory fashion trends fast fashion feminism film and fashion folk art garment workers Gender Bending gender discourse hipsters history Ilana Glazer ironic fashion Japanese fashion just in time scheduling knowledge production labor day material culture maxi dress memories Miuccia Prada Nina Taylor nostalgia Pop Culture postmodern fashion Prada princess leia Queer Fashion Queer fashions recruit suits retail workers slow fashion Sport street styles Style Discourse sustainable fashion teaching fashion Tess Holliday tradition and globalization Trans UCLA Urban Outfitters zara zentai
Tag Archives: material culture
Thought provoking article by Malic White from Bitch Magazine about Urban Outfitters’ transphobic promotion of their androgynous clothing line. Advertisements
Photo From: http://ribandrhein.com/wordpress/?page_id=42 “Gilt Group may have redefined the discount shopping experience for shoppers seeking high-fashion labels such as Marni and Prada, but Olga Vidisheva, the 26-year-old founder of Shoptiques, thinks her start-up can disrupt the $20 billion boutique shopping industry. The … Continue reading
Queerture: Queer + Couture was the theme of the queer studies fashion conference held at UCLA October 14-15 where the fashion was just as awe-inspiring as the ideas and papers presented in the classrooms of Royce Hall on the gorgeous … Continue reading
My friend, Mary Jean Gladfelter Hogg, keeps her grandmother’s wedding dress hung on a tiny dress form in her bedroom. Mary Agnes Yost Gladfelter, 20 years old, was married April 29, 1898. Her dress is a fine deep brown wool, it’s … Continue reading
What is Insole? Before answer “why insoles”, I have to first ponder on “what is insole”. Where does it fit in the fashion-style-dress complex? Does it fall under the category of clothing, handcraft or art? According to the definitions in … Continue reading
Insole is a common type of foot wear in China, hidden but full of meanings. The fact that it is hidden from sight doesn’t lessen its exquisiteness in craftsmanship and its richness in cultural meanings. It perfectly exemplifies the combination of … Continue reading