- The Diet Regime
- “The Innovator”: Woolmark’s Snappy Video Misses the Mark
- Forever Pretty in Pink: A teen classic turns 30. But is it actually a working-class “woman’s film”?
- Erotically materialized Papa Smurf’s costume
- What Fashion Scholars Text About When They Text About Fashion
- A Plus in the Sun: The Spatial Politics of Selling Plus-Size Clothes to Women
- Holiday Shopping Edition: On Christmas Movie Miracles, Makeovers and Shopgirls
- Favorite Fall Fashion Links Friday!
- Hobby Historians and the Clothes They Love
- Labor Day Edition! 10 Narrative Films About Garment Workers (and why there aren’t many more than that)
- Haunted by Prada: Meditation on an Ugly Pink Dress, Beauty, and a Missed Opportunity
- Japanese Fashion Part Two: “Recruit Suits” and Why Boring Fashion Matters
- Full Spandex Suits and Other Fashion Fantasies in “Weird Japan” Media Coverage
- It’s Favorite Fashion Blog Friday!
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- Follow Fashion Research on WordPress.com
Tags90s fashion 1990s fashion Abbi Jacobson Advertising Ambiguity antifastfashion art and craft authority beauty Black Friday boring fashion Broad City Cambodia change zara Collections consumer behavior consumer culture cultural studies Dockers donated clothing dress End of Gender fair labor fair trade Fair Wage Fashion fashion and art fashion and labor fashion blog fashion history Fashion Show fashion theory fashion trends fast fashion feminism film and fashion folk art garment workers Gender Bending gender discourse hipsters history Ilana Glazer ironic fashion Japanese fashion just in time scheduling knowledge production labor day material culture maxi dress memories Miuccia Prada Nina Taylor nostalgia Pop Culture postmodern fashion Prada princess leia Queer Fashion Queer fashions recruit suits retail workers slow fashion Sport street styles Style Discourse sustainable fashion teaching fashion Tess Holliday tradition and globalization Trans UCLA Urban Outfitters zara zentai
Tag Archives: Fashion
This post can now be found on our new site, Dismantle Magazine: Fashion, Popular Culture, Social Change! Check it out here:How Pretty in Pink turned a vintage Hollywood genre into something totally 80s Advertisements
I know I’m not the only one who thinks this is the best and the fashion-iest time of year. In Portland, there’s enough of a chill in the air to break out sweaters and boots, but still enough sunshine that … Continue reading
This isn’t the post I was going to write next. For one thing, it returns to themes I’ve covered a lot recently. For another, the fall semester starts next week and I have two brand new classes to prep for … Continue reading
We’re quickly finding out that one of the biggest perks of running this site is discovering the smart, funny, and insightful things other people are writing about fashion. And we’re using the word in its broadest sense here, because how … Continue reading
A recent spate of digs at this fashion trend has been making me uncomfortable. See for example this by John Oliver (funny) or this on Jezebel (less funny/misfired satire?) (But props to the author for citing Heather Vaughan’s excellent history … Continue reading
Kelly Sullivan of Intellectually Fashionable discusses “the consequences of Black Friday are analyzed on a global scale in this piece, showing that the 7 dead and 90 injured Americans in the Black Friday craze aren’t the only victims of the … Continue reading
Thought provoking article by Malic White from Bitch Magazine about Urban Outfitters’ transphobic promotion of their androgynous clothing line.